November 24, 2017, 10:06:47 pm

Author Topic: The Aeneid - Virgil  (Read 1417 times)

Offline ChiTownBuff

The Aeneid - Virgil
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:46 am »
Did anyone see this more as a critique of the Augustan regime, or a celebration or Imperialism?  I thought it was kind of a downer in town, so I'm leaning towards the opinion that its more politically subversive.  But who knows?  He was editing a lot of it, but got sick and died.

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Better at eating glass than Vila.
Re: The Aeneid - Virgil
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
I feel it serves as a nice cultural marker to highlight the social and intellectual advancement of Roman culture over the more ancient Greek culture which they to some extent mimicked. WIth that in mind, it could have been intended to serve as a sort of cultural map-key, though if it was, chances are good that it would have to be colored by some kind of political or cultural value, as the Romans had moved a bit beyond that kind of stuff merely as a historical record.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline deruty

Re: The Aeneid - Virgil
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
It was more or less a propaganda justification, I didn't really get any of those tones from it but then againt I was mainly focused on grammar and not content at that time (translating it from Latin). If you want satirical political critique, The Millionaire's Dinner Party is probably better. It was more or less a comedic recollection of a lavish dinner party from a rags to riches individual. I don't know if there's a good English version of it since I read it in Latin.