April 16, 2014, 12:12:07 PM

Author Topic: HIgher fps the better?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline TownshipWarrior

• Always there, always ready.
HIgher fps the better?
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
Hey guys I was wondering, alot of airsoft clone companies have been beefing up their guns fps to ridiculous amounts. I had also seen some videos stating that a lower fps gun can shoot just as far as a higher fps gun because of quality. So, 2 questions. Number 1, are lower quality airsoft guns(clones like jg) just adding more fps to compensate for lower quality in the accuracy and range area? And 2,would it be better to buy(just made this up) a 120 dollar jg with 380 fps or a 120 dollar echo 1 with 310 fps? Thanks!  ;D
You stand above and look down
You're just a plagaristic clown
You suck the life out of me
You keep track of the petty
And when this well becomes dry
You'll she'd a tear for another lie
Though I'm used to have you here
It's doesn't change the man I was

Offline Genesis

Re: HIgher fps the better?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
higher fps is not better IMO... if its over 400 fps (if its an aeg) , most fields wont allow it... IMO i would stick in the 350 or 380 range (if your looking for field and not cqb). so IMO the higher fps is not better... also i would get the echo1 over the jg if you had the chance... echo1 is alot better quality.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:44:48 PM by genesis »
TEAM C.O.G.

Offline Yoroiden

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Number 1, are lower quality airsoft guns(clones like jg) just adding more fps to compensate for lower quality in the accuracy and range area?

No, they're beefing up springs (more fps) because they know many newer players think a higher stock fps equals quality gun, which is not true as only the springs are cranked up, not the other internal parts. And many newer players have this foolish idea that they need to have an upgraded/high-power gun right off the bat, when the most important upgrade they need is actual hands-on experience on the field. Additionally, many clone guns shoot hot out of the box, necessitating having the spring downgraded before you can even use it in a game, requiring spending more time and money getting set up to play.

That said, low fps guns can shoot as well, if not better, than a high fps gun, but only if the internal parts are better quality. What constitutes 'better' is a matter of individual opinion.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline Aiden

• (^_-)☆
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »
Number 1, are lower quality airsoft guns(clones like jg) just adding more fps to compensate for lower quality in the accuracy and range area?

It adds a negligible amount of range, and if anything, lowers accuracy.

But JG guns are not low in the accuracy and range area. Sometimes they get lucky with the hopup arm molding and the end result is a perfectly even hopup arm with a well aligned nub.

The FPS raising is simply because the higher FPS sells, new players are of the "more is better" thinking, and will make purchases based on the higher FPS.

And 2,would it be better to buy(just made this up) a 120 dollar jg with 380 fps or a 120 dollar echo 1 with 310 fps?
That's really up to you, both are field legal. The 310fps gun will probably have a slightly higher rate of fire due to a weaker spring, and the gearbox will suffer less stress. I personally would take the 310fps just to save me the trouble of installing an M100 spring.

Offline Komissar

• RedRiot-CCCP Soldat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:25:38 AM »
The only difference between jg and e1 I have found is that e1 is almost identical to the jg enhanced series with a higher pricetag. I would go jg if you plan to do upgrades. E1 is slightly higher quality, but often useless. My buddy has an e1 m4, it cant hit a can at 20 yards on the first 3 shots. His stock jg can. It's all down to preference. And gps does not matter. Ever heard of the marui m14? It's fabled to be the most accurate and long ranged stock gun ever. And it's only shooting 215. It's in the hopup.
No sir, of course that's not a suitcase full of Caviar and Russian Army gear...
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
http://www.waryall.com/
userbarz.com

Offline Remove Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Second year running - Loudest team at Thunder
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
The second best long-range rifle I ever had was my L1A1 shooting 328FPS with a good hopup, good tightbore and good ammo.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline 123JPF321

• Don't question me.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
I know that my Crossman Pulse R76 has treated me good. 375 fps.  Ive seen many ak's advertising that they have 430 to 450 fps. Most people i know like to boast about their fps. In that group your considered hardcore if you have over 400.  but its all b.s :P

Offline Chavez [303]

• Dont mess around with CNR!
  • Administrator
  • The ball cracker...death on foot...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
All we need to do is dial up the pressure on our air tanks and we can easily hit the 450-500 range....

Does it mean we're some how more badass?.....no.

All FPS means is that you have a greater chance of hurting someone.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

https://www.facebook.com/CactusArmsAirsoft

Offline NAS Ghost

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
I say if your going for accuracy higher fps is better but then you need heavier bbs but i still think ROF beats accuracy in airsoft at least
This thread sucks so badly even Redtail wouldn't make an argument.

MK18
m1911
Multicam and 3 color desert preferred
Field / CQB

Offline Feelgood

• God of Sarcasm and Off-topicness
  • Two chicks at the same time
    • https://twitter.com/jamesf_perfect/
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
I say if your going for accuracy higher fps is better but then you need heavier bbs but i still think ROF beats accuracy in airsoft at least

Did you not read what anybody here said? Higher FPS is not better
^Came up with that all by myself.

Pooch [03|Sep 12:33 AM]: funk you FG

"Fortune favors the fools" leaves me wondering how I'm not rich yet

Offline Chavez [303]

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »
Its ok...clearly with a name like Seal1 this is just another 12-14 year old that thinks hes living out his experiences from Call of Duty or whatever the new game is.  Let him think higher FPS = accuracy...when he's winging rounds at me at 400 FPS but they're all hooking left he'll learn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:10:27 PM by Chavez »
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Offline ASUSMC

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
Its ok...clearly with a name like Seal1 this is just another 12-14 year old that thinks hes living out his experiences from Call of Duty or whatever the new game is.  Let me think higher FPS = accuracy...when he's winging rounds at me at 400 FPS but they're all hooking left he'll learn.

To lead right  ;) :D

And I agree with the name thing

Offline B.S.69

• Oh. My. Glob.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
For the most part, I haven't had any problems with JG, so like Yoroiden said, it's all pretty much about individual opinion. Granted I'm not too experienced, I can still very easily tell a lot about a gun by the "feel" of it, shooting and otherwise.
Jacksonville area doesn't have much to do.

Offline TownshipWarrior

• Always there, always ready.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
So will higher fps only give you better accuracy with heavier bb's? For example 420 fps gun would have better accuracy with .25's than with .2's?
You stand above and look down
You're just a plagaristic clown
You suck the life out of me
You keep track of the petty
And when this well becomes dry
You'll she'd a tear for another lie
Though I'm used to have you here
It's doesn't change the man I was

Offline Chavez [303]

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
you need to stop thinking in terms of FPS as your qualifer for what is a "good" gun.

Unless its a bolt action sniper rifle a gun shooting 420 is not allowed on the field.

The reason you want heavier bb's on a sniper rifle is that because they're flying longer distances you want something that isn't as affected by wind or other external variables.  the heavier the bb, the less the elements play into its trajectory.  thats the only thing.