February 18, 2019, 10:15:28 pm

Author Topic: when to charge battery before a game  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Prophet

• Rogue Airsoft
when to charge battery before a game
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:29 pm »
i got a question for you all, when do you charge your batteries before a game? the night before? the morning of the game? i need help so i dont mess up the battery life.

TEAM LEADER OF  [Rogue Airsoft]

My guns:
G&P m4
KJW glock 23

Offline Nitiwat

• Sexy studmuffin <3
    • Feelgood's Facebook
Re: when to charge battery before a game
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:27:53 am »
Doesn't matter. I would charge them the night before so I don't have to worry about it in the morning. You barely loose any charge over a few hours. Sometimes, I leave them charge a week before games.

Offline EightBall

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:43:59 am »
Do you have a quick charger?  then I'd say the morning before the game

Do you have a smart charger?  Charge everything the day before, with no fear of overcharging

Do you have the standard "dumb" chargers?  Then you'll have to do some math, the charger has an amphour output, your battery has a milli amp hour rating, but to fully charge a battery from 0% takes anywhere from 4 to 8 hours depending on the sizes of the battery and charger.  Fear overcharging with these
Operation Eastwind VII - U.S. 1st Sq. 315th Radio Relay Co.
Wasteland 3 - Crooked Crows:  Come join our murder
Operation Eastwind VI - US 3rd Sq. 315th Radio Relay Co.

815th Milsim Group

Number of fighting holes dug for airsoft:  2

Offline deruty

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:04:13 am »
usually the day before. I don't really see why charging in the morning is ever a good idea as you're usually up early to begin w/ to get to the event on time and that just leaves one more thing to accidently forget to pack if you don't do it the night before.

Offline EightBall

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »
To really answer your question, it shouldn't matter when you charge your battery, as long as you don't overcharge it

I have NO idea why, but older batteries loose their charge waaaaayyy faster than new batteries.  From my understanding of electricity the stored energy should stay stored until the circut is completed.... but that doesn't seem to be the case, and again, I have no idea why
Operation Eastwind VII - U.S. 1st Sq. 315th Radio Relay Co.
Wasteland 3 - Crooked Crows:  Come join our murder
Operation Eastwind VI - US 3rd Sq. 315th Radio Relay Co.

815th Milsim Group

Number of fighting holes dug for airsoft:  2

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Better at eating glass than Vila.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:40 pm »
Not necessarily older versus newer.

Mostly "cheaper" versus "higher quality".

The reason is in the purity and the quality of the chemicals used as an electrolytic storage media. As the battery is used, they break down, as do the walls of the battery. Electrons stored in the cell are lost to the outer wall or simply absorbed into new compounds formed inside the battery pack. This is why they don't recommend you store NiMH batteries charged.

FOr the layman:
The gel or paste inside the battery gets burnt over time and stops retaining charge, and the burnt part may actually suck up and disperse electricity.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.