December 17, 2018, 12:54:07 am

Author Topic: G&G M40a3/5 build (pics are up)  (Read 1679 times)

Offline skillsdarling

G&G M40a3/5 build (pics are up)
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:34:16 am »
Hey guys, although this is my first post, im no where near new to airsoft. I played back yard games for afew years beforei attended Thunder 4 and i havent really stopped playing since.

Any who,  i got a G&G G96 with a tapped mag in a trade back in june or july. Since then ive gotten abit sick of how it looks (guess im not as big of a l96 fan as i thought lol) and since its essentially stock, i think that it has alot of room to improve as accuracy/range goes. So here is my build of a G&G m40a3/5

Here is what i plan on doing to it.
External:
Chop barrel down to 20"
Install threads
Custom make an m40a3/5 stock
Internal:
Prommy 590mm barrel (cut down to 20ish" and hop up re cut)

Update (Nov 27)
I got too excited last night and when throught the who barrel chopping and thread installation without taking a single pic. Im hoping to remember to take some pics later tonight.

As far as the stock, i scaled a picture of on to 1:1 size and then cut a rough templet out of cardboard. Im planning on first making a stock out of foam, then out of balsa wood, and after that ill either make another out of foam to make a fiber glass mold or find a piece of a more durable wood and carve it out of that.

Im saving the 2nd and 3rd post to make sure i have plenty of room to fully document the build of the stock and the performance of the gun once the Prommy barrel hae been modified and installed.

Update Nov 27 part 2
Pics of new barrel length and threads

Installed with original inner barrel to show the difference in length

Close up on the threads

To build on what I said before, I have decided to make a foam mold and the make the stock out of fiber glass

Unknown to my brother, I decided to "borrow" the box to his new fender amp. After I priced together the print out I traced it on to the side of his box and the used an exacto knife to cut it out.

After work today I stopped my menards to pick up a sheet of two in thick extruded polystyren. A worker there was also nice enough to cut it up into roughly two foot sections because I wasn't going to wrestle a 4' by 8' sheet of foam into my old Cherokee.

I traced the cardboard onto a sheet using an expo marker (pencil didn't work too good) and then cut it out with a small saw (I'll come back and put in the real name, but its basically a hand scroll saw)

After I cut it out of the larger sheet, I used a saw to cut in from the edges to the traced lines. From there I either broke off the little pieces or just used an old file to file it away. Once I had gotta a very basic shape, I took some sand paper and then sanded the rough edges .

As I'm writing this, I covered in pink foam dust and my lungs are probably coated in it right now. So I'll be calling it quits for today and will start shaping the more complex details tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should put down a single layer of fiber glass, remove it, and then begin to fill the inside, or just to put 3+ layers on the the mold before removing it. If anyone has any experience with fiberglass please give some input (this will be my first time using fiber glass)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:40:47 pm by skillsdarling »

Offline skillsdarling

Re: G&G M40a3/5 build (pics to come soon)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:49 am »
Reserving for continuation

Offline skillsdarling

Re: G&G M40a3/5 build (pics to come soon)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:22:23 am »
Reseved for continuation

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Better at eating glass than Vila.
Re: G&G M40a3/5 build (pics are up)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »
It is *super* cool to see people building custom stuff. I normally bulkhead with ABS plates myself, but that gives me severely limited options for curves.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.