June 22, 2018, 08:29:28 am

Author Topic: Wanting to make something happen in the Illinois..  (Read 983 times)

Offline The Legacy

Wanting to make something happen in the Illinois..
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:18:51 pm »
Hello all! I've been playing around with the idea of trying to organize some WWII games here in the Chicago area or possibly a bit   south in Central Illinois and just wanted to see how many, if any of you on the boards have any real interest. If nothing else perhaps we can create a network of players who would be interested in car pooling to some of the regular games that happen up in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

If we can get enough interested parties down here I do have some ideas for fields we could use as well as guidelines for authenticity and some possible scenarios. I'm thinking for right now that this would be something fun to do once or twice a year in the airsoft "off season" as I'm sure many of you like me have pretty full schedules during the summer months (not to mention wool uniforms get pretty hot in anything above 60 degrees).

A couple things I would ask of you guys that may be interested- What type of impression or WWII era kit do you currently own (if any), how far would you be willing to drive to participate in a WWII event, have you played in a WWII themed event or reenactment, and what would you like to see at such an event.

I am currently hoping to hear from adult players on this who have an interest in history or a reenacting background or better yet,experience in WWII airsoft. While I would certainly welcome father son teams to events I think it is important to stress at this stage a mature environment with a focus on historical accuracy and respect for the past.

While I realize that this is a rather small niche of players in the community I would like very much to start a discussion on this and see what we can come up with. I do not check these boards very often anymore but if I start getting any type of responses through PM or on here I will try to get better about that. Alternatively if there is any interest I can possibly start a FB group and try to reach out to players in surrounding states as well.

Offline Kilo31

Re: Wanting to make something happen in the Illinois..
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:29:25 pm »
It would be a great thing to see for sure, a WWII themed event or storyboard. But for it to succeed, you need dedicated players. I don't own anything WWII themed but would love to see something like this.

And my fear is that you are going to see a severe lack of dedicated players who put real time and money into their impressions. And also seeing as how WWII airsoft replicas are just now really starting to pick up steam with the recent release of the M1 AEG by ICS and the BAR, the look and feel of the game will still be lacking.

Case in point, Best of the Worst. I have been to the last 2 BOTW games and I try everything I can to look and feel the part of the group I am trying to portray. But I can't be 100% faithful and most cannot either. But it gets to a point where you cannot deny someone because they don't have the proper stock on a gun or they don't have a 20 round magazine in their M16.

I would love love love to see dedicated period games like this, I just don't think there is a market outside of the previously established markets around the country. I know I would like to play in something like this, but I would wait until I had all the proper gear requirements in place.
"Ain't no room for Peter Pan on this hunt"

Offline The Legacy

Re: Wanting to make something happen in the Illinois..
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:16:56 pm »
All good points and agreed with the BOTW statement. To me half the fun was acquiring the proper gear for the game and it is a catch 22. I think there are a lot of people who would like to do this but fear making the investment without seeing an established group of dedicated players already holding events and I think it's hard to make the jump into pushing events due to fear that people won't invest the time and money into doing it right. I personally think the way to do this is to start small. To paraphrase something I read on another forum, instead of going all out and trying to do D-Day or Market Garden, focus on small unit action. It would really only take a handful of people to get a decent squad vs squad game going and take it from there. Unfortunately repro gear is not cheap, but then again. neither is anything in airsoft in my experience.