August 15, 2018, 07:20:03 pm

Author Topic: New Old Guy  (Read 680 times)

Offline EPhatcher

New Old Guy
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:17:19 am »
Hi.  I'm new to airsoft. I live in the City but am actually looking at houses in the Des Plaines area right now.   I guess i'm getting into the game a little late (32) my friends and I were heavy into paintball in the lat 90's and early 2000's how we missed the boat on airsoft for this long i have no idea.  But, better late that never.  I've built myself a decent kit so far a gbb pistol and a gbb shotgun arriving shortly.  I'll be building a m4 over the next few months as my parts come in one by one (shipping from asia is insane 28 business days wtf?).  I plan on going to Fear City Tac Arena tomorrow with just my pistol, is it pretty active on most weekends?  I don't really know what to expect i hope to meet some cool people and be able to have some fun with my buddies, and stop spending so much $$$$ on real steel ammo. 

Offline rotweilerdc

Re: New Old Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:28 pm »
Look into Black Ops Airsoft for when it's warmer it's good for beginers

Offline Zohar

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:20:42 am »
FCTA usually has a decent showing, though probably only during the cold months. There's plenty of places if you live in Chicago. CPX and Legacy are within an hour south and PBX is 45ish North-west. I'd recommend having an AEG if you're going to any of those, though.

Personally, I don't order my guns from asia because they always get caught up in customs and before you know it you're on every watch list known to man. If you /do/ live in chicago, it's illegal to own a functioning replica (even with an orange tip) so you probably want to be as on the DL as possible... Try www.Evike.com, 2 days handling, 4 days shipping from Cali with 10%-25% off coupons.

Offline carpathiavh99

• Chairsofter Extraordinaire
    • Springfield Tactical Airsoft Regiment
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:00:24 pm »
Welcome! I was in pretty much the same boat as you. My friends and I used to play paintball often, back in the 90's early 00's; I always thought airsoft was a kids's sport. I got into it last year at 33, you're not the only one coming into it late. It's a blast!

Offline EPhatcher

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:23:05 pm »
Personally, I don't order my guns from asia because they always get caught up in customs and before you know it you're on every watch list known to man. If you /do/ live in chicago, it's illegal to own a functioning replica (even with an orange tip) so you probably want to be as on the DL as possible... Try www.Evike.com, 2 days handling, 4 days shipping from Cali with 10%-25% off coupons.

Evike Is where I got most of my stuff from, the stuff from Asia was just steel internals for my m4.  I am in the city, so I'll keep my discretion at a maximum considering all of my guns would be 'replicas' and of course i had them all shipped right to my house.  I won't be playing with them in my yard any time soon.  Thanks for the info, I can't wait to move out of this city and it's ridiculous gun laws, the long gun ordinance from last year made all my long guns 'illegal'. 

On a side note do you really have to have an orange tip to play at CPX?  or is that something that they just put on the website?

I did go to Fear City on Super Bowl Sunday, and had a good time.  Going back on the 23rd (next sunday)

Offline Trippster

• Ministry of Un-Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:47 pm »
The orange tip rule is usually overlooked, you should probably have one but i dont think they would kick you out for not having one. I recommend avoiding Evike.
redtail [09|Nov 01:22 AM]:   TRIPPS I ALREADY TOLD YOU THEY ARE INDEPENDENT FILMS
redtail [09|Nov 01:23 AM]:   The moaning and bodily fluids are symbolic of the director's struggle with heroin addiction.