November 13, 2018, 06:35:29 pm

Author Topic: what do i need to do to use a 650mm 6.01  (Read 1360 times)

Offline 1shot2kills

what do i need to do to use a 650mm 6.01
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:35:27 am »
i want to put a 650mm into my m14 but i've heard you need a bore up kit to beable to use it without to barrel suck problem
right now my stock cylinder has no hole's in it
PTW's are just like Ferraris. Look great, cost tons of money, and can be completely dominated by things half the price

I wish I could afford BF3. I buy groceries and illegal slave-children instead.

Offline Chavez [303]

• Dont mess around with CNR!
  • Global Moderator
  • The ball cracker...death on foot...
Re: what do i need to do to use a 650mm 6.01
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:17:07 am »
you and your 6.01's..... :-\

A bore up is different then a non-ported cylinder.  The actual diameter of the cylinder is larger...granted not by much but enough.  Honestly there is no need for a barrel beyond 500mm.  You will see no performance gain beyond that.

You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

https://www.facebook.com/CactusArmsAirsoft

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Better at eating glass than Vila.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:55:08 pm »
As a matter of fact, I did a bit of math...

With a Version 2 gearbox and my current gear set, a type-1 torque up spur gear set by SystemA, and a standard, factory cylinder and head, even unported, the longest barrel you can effectively use in theory with minimal suckback effect (as in, you lose less than 10% of theoretical velocity) is about 595mm. With a bore-up cylinder, you've got about 603mm with a SystemA non-ported bore-up and a cylinder head of standard thickness.

Most pros will tell you 609mm, but that figures on the entire length of the cylinder minus the head. I figure on the usable length minus the length of the cylinder head AND minus the length of the piston head itself.

Of course, that's not accounting for the length of the hopup chamber, and assuming 100% perfect seal immediately once the sector gear releases the piston, and assuming zero bleed from any of the gearbox seals including the air nozzle, and exactly 14.7lbs of ambient air pressure. ANd no hopup rubber to expand and lose air. And no imperfections in the barrel that might cause air to bleed around the sides of the pellet. Those conditions are pretty tough to duplicate without a perfectly spherical pellet of exactly ~/<6mm bore and a barrel of exactly ~/>6mm bore. So you're better off sticking with a typical PSG1-length 6.03 and being able to shoot it without having to worry about the ambient humidity, in other words. My KA FAL currently has a 6.05 in it, and is shooting 318FPS, and anyone who was at Codename: THUNDER will verify that it's ridiculously accurate. And I don't use the term ridiculous very loosely here. It was stupidly accurate.

In other words, on the eighth or ninth time you ask us how to do something that we tell you that you're better off not doing, it's probably not a good idea to do it.

In other words, what do you need to use a 6.01x650mm barrel?

A gas rifle capable of expelling >3j worth of CO2. AEGs aren't meant for that.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline 1shot2kills

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:11:25 pm »
yes i know me and my 6.01's
i know it isnt a good idea
it just my cheapest solution because i got it for my old gas rifle a year ago and i dont really want to get a new barrel
PTW's are just like Ferraris. Look great, cost tons of money, and can be completely dominated by things half the price

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00:10 pm »
It's impractical.

It's REALLY not that expensive to get a new barrel, one that you don;t have to worry about. Trying to tailor your gun around parts you have that aren't suitable is a good way to spend even more money and waste even more time and get something you don't even necessarily want in the end.

Here:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_55&products_id=4063

It's longer than you should logically need with an M14 shooting any less than 600FPS. It's also going to require about six inches of barrel extension. THe stock M14 barrel is about 540 in a G&G, and about 525 in a Marui-pattern gun.

i know it isnt a good idea
it just my cheapest solution

...when in fact preparing your gun to take this ridiculous barrel will cost more than buying and shipping another proper barrel that you'll have a better experience with, and end up with a gun that you can carry on the field, outside, without having to swab after six rounds.

Offline 1shot2kills

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:01:07 am »
guess i'll get the the systema one
thanks

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »
Probably a good idea. YOu'll need to find a barrel extension, though. A 6" suppressor should do alright. Try to find a hollow one, though, or the gun will be ridiculous to carry.

Offline 1shot2kills

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 06:40:20 pm »
i got one already

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:47 pm »
Even better.