October 20, 2014, 05:46:20 PM

Author Topic: FOID cards  (Read 4091 times)

Offline phatestP

• "We make good team!!"
FOID cards
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
so i'm applying for one, so i ask, what will it let me do? i'm only 16. but will it let me handle guns or ammo at stores? or do i have to wait until i'm 18? i cant buy a gun until i'm 18 right? i know that it has to be renewed every five years. one more thing: will this card be the only thing i need to buy a gun, with the exception of money.
Haiku's are stupid
They don't have a real meaning
But I just wrote one?!

Want to see something cool?

Offline trooper26

Re: FOID cards
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
you can get one any time .

acually on the colbert report I saw somewhere a 9 month old baby got one.

Offline phatestP

• "We make good team!!"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
a gun or the foid card? cause i already know you can be any age to get a foid.
Haiku's are stupid
But I just wrote one?!

Offline trooper26

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
you cant buy a long gun till 18 pistol till 21.

Offline valekhai-RB

• Renegade Bloc Recruiter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
You won't need anything else to buy a gun, but depending on where you live certain guns may be illegal and/or guns may need to be registered with your local police department (I'm not sure what that process entails since I don't live in one of those places).

RB pwns all!

Offline Slick29

• M4 Lover
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »
pretty much a foid card makes it legal for you to posses a gun or ammo.  you cant buy a rifle or ammo until you're 18 and i'm not sure but i think you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, and without a foid card you cant purchase any type of gun. A foid card is nice because in my case i'm only 16 and cant own a gun and without a foid card i have to be so close to my dad to use a gun, but with my foid card i can take one of our shotguns and go hunting as long as i have a foid card and a hunters safety card. But when you're older no foid no gun

Offline trooper26

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
yeah I think you are allowed to hunt withount a foid card but you have to have someone with a foid and able to tell you when to shoot... or thats what my hunter stafty guy told me.

Offline phatestP

• "We make good team!!"
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
how about if i just want to handle one in the store, do i have to be 18 and have a foid? or does age not matter, as long as i have a foid?
Haiku's are stupid
But I just wrote one?!

Offline valekhai-RB

• Renegade Bloc Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
how about if i just want to handle one in the store, do i have to be 18 and have a foid? or does age not matter, as long as i have a foid?
Not sure.  My guess would be that stores that won't let you handle a gun until you present a FOID also wouldn't let you handle it unless you were of proper age, but I suppose it depends on the store.  Gander Mountain has a lot of guns just sitting out where anybody can handle them.  I'm not sure if they'd stop you for looking too young.

RB pwns all!

Offline Slick29

• M4 Lover
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »
usually you have to have a foid card to hold a gun in a store but like already stated in depends on the store. I know that at the belleville and collinsville gun shows i always go to you always have to show a foid to be able to hold a firearm.

Offline Chavez [303]

• Dont mess around with CNR!
  • Administrator
  • The ball cracker...death on foot...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »
In Illinois you must be 18 to handle long guns and 21 to handle pistols.  Same rules to purchase.

I take it you got parental approval for this.  If you are under 21 you need parental approval on the form.  Also expect a delay.  I have friends that just applied and they found out there is a 56 day delay on processing due to increased demand.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

https://www.facebook.com/CactusArmsAirsoft

Offline phatestP

• "We make good team!!"
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 07:29:27 PM »
yeah, i heard it could take up to 3 months after mailing the forms until you receive the foid.
Haiku's are stupid
But I just wrote one?!

Offline OfcrBob

• 303rd SAG
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »
I was told the same thing a few months ago when I renewed mine, and I recieved it in four weeks. My 18 year old sister just applied for her fist one, and got in three. So I dunno. Typical state of Illinois for you.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression." -Thomas Paine

Offline Redtail

• Resident Fun Sponge
  • Better at eating glass than Vila.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »
...allowed to hunt withount a foid card...

Trooper, for the love of God, this is the fourth time I've had to tell you there is no N in "Without". The letters aren't even close to eachother.

On topic, now:
When my brother and I applied for our cards on the same day, mine came about two weeks before his. The system is entirely in disarray due to demand and typical bureaucratic process. That being said, two weeks really isn't that bad.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline pistolpro2

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »
i laughed so hard at what you said redtail!!!
im going to get a foid card once i move out of my parents house.