December 22, 2014, 01:39:48 AM

Author Topic: Airsoft laws in illinois  (Read 9584 times)

Offline fjet

• He was probably from Wisconsin...
Airsoft laws in illinois
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
first of all i hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I am aware that playing airsoft in my friends backyard is a very bad idea and quite illigal.

I heard however that if you live in an unincorperated area then you can play backyard airsoft games. Does anyone know if this is true? I live on a 1/2 acre of land and it would be awsome to play some quick games in my backyard without having to be paranoid about getting the cops called on us.

Thank you!
This is my Signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Offline Yoroiden

Re: Airsoft laws in illinois
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »
Public land is generally illegal.

Beyond that, it's best to check your local city/town municipal code. Some towns it's okay on private land, others it's illegal within city limits. Some it's okay to own airsoft guns, but not okay to actually shoot them within the city limits.

I will say that Chicago has a total ban on all airsoft.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline Rav

• I see you
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
so to find this info out in my town would i go to the local cop shop
Rav of the "Forsaken Brotherhood"

Offline Yoroiden

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
That's one way of doing it.

Many towns also have websites where you can check all the local laws online.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline Sev

• 仮想せき
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »
so to find this info out in my town would i go to the local cop shop
Cops are much more willing to listen to you guys if you approach them before they are called to investigate your property/playing area.  Say you're in the clear in terms of airsofting in your backyard.  The next step is to go to the cops and tell them when and where this will occur.  If they say 'no' at this point, tough luck, but if they are even slightly inclined to say it's 'ok', it will be then.  Not later, when they're called by the neighbors.
The Big Brain am winning again!
_________________________ _
Try this for your next sale/purchase!
Airsoft Auctions

Offline PRWN

• formally PRWN
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
What if were playing on someone elses private property but we have permission of the owner to play on it ?
No I made a suggestion and was returned with my cats breath smells like cat food, I felt I wasn't taken seriously

Offline Yoroiden

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »
Still should be aware of the local laws. Doesn't really matter if the property owner is okay if it's illegal in that area.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline PRWN

• formally PRWN
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
Well its kind of weird because we live on the border of lemont/homer glenn if you guys know where that is at all

at the more downtown part its made illegal, but its more resdential down there
out here its all pretty much cornfields

and in homer its not illegal

and the fields in homer but were in lemont

is that playing it safe
No I made a suggestion and was returned with my cats breath smells like cat food, I felt I wasn't taken seriously

Offline Yoroiden

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
I don't know, though I doubt it. What do your local laws say?

Google + the town you live in + city/village/municipal/etc. code = where to find what is or isn't legal in your area.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline PRWN

• formally PRWN
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
alrite thanx

ill take a look at that

Offline ScapeGoat

• Former Ninja - Currently Terminator
  • RB Founder / Team Lead
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:18:37 AM »
I had this long drawn out answer, but instead, ill just post laws.

+++disclaimer+++

This post is not to be construed as legal opinion or advice and should not be taken as such, also, the author gives no warantee expressed or implied on the factual basis for this information, any actions you take you do so on your own accord and with your own judgement.

++++++++++++++

If you notice... section 4, part 3 states on private land you can shoot an airsoft gun, but it cant go into someone elses land or public land...

problem is, this law states you can shoot it.  it doesnt say you can attempt to shoot it at someone. 

so...  shooting a bb at someone could be assault or aggravated assault depending on whether or not you were on a public place

and shooting a bb and hitting them could be battery or aggravated battery again depending on whether or not you were in a private place.

Make your own judgements... and play safely where fields are insured.

CRIMINAL OFFENSES
(720 ILCS 535/) Air Rifle Act.

(720 ILCS 535/0.01) (from Ch. 38, par. 82)
    Sec. 0.01. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Air Rifle Act.
(Source: P.A. 86‑1324.) 

(720 ILCS 535/1) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑1)
    Sec. 1. As used in this Act:
    (1) "Air rifle" means and includes any air gun, air pistol, spring gun, spring pistol, B‑B gun, paint ball gun, pellet gun or any implement that is not a firearm which impels a breakable paint ball containing washable marking colors or, a pellet constructed of hard plastic, steel, lead or other hard materials with a force that reasonably is expected to cause bodily harm.
    (2) "Municipalities" include cities, villages, incorporated towns and townships.
    (3) "Dealer" means any person, copartnership, association or corporation engaged in the business of selling at retail or renting any of the articles included in the definition of "air rifle".
(Source: P.A. 86‑349.) 

(720 ILCS 535/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑2)
    Sec. 2. It is unlawful for any dealer to sell, lend, rent, give or otherwise transfer an air rifle to any person under the age of 13 years where the dealer knows or has cause to believe the person to be under 13 years of age or where such dealer has failed to make reasonable inquiry relative to the age of such person and such person is under 13 years of age.
    It is unlawful for any person to sell, give, lend or otherwise transfer any air rifle to any person under 13 years of age except where the relationship of parent and child, guardian and ward or adult instructor and pupil, exists between such person and the person under 13 years of age, or where such person stands in loco parentis to the person under 13 years of age.
(Source: Laws 1965, p. 2977.) 

(720 ILCS 535/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑3)
    Sec. 3. It is unlawful for any person under 13 years of age to carry any air rifle on the public streets, roads, highways or public lands within this State, unless such person under 13 years of age carries such rifle unloaded.
    It is unlawful for any person to discharge any air rifle from or across any street, sidewalk, road, highway or public land or any public place except on a safely constructed target range.

(720 ILCS 535/4) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑4)
    Sec. 4. Notwithstanding any provision of this Act, it is lawful for any person under 13 years of age to have in his possession any air rifle if it is:
    (1) Kept within his house of residence or other private enclosure;
    (2) Used by the person under 13 years of age and he is a duly enrolled member of any club, team or society organized for educational purposes and maintaining as part of its facilities or having written permission to use an indoor or outdoor rifle range under the supervision guidance and instruction of a responsible adult and then only if said air rifle is actually being used in connection with the activities of said club team or society under the supervision of a responsible adult; or
    (3) Used in or on any private grounds or residence under circumstances when such air rifle is fired, discharged or operated in such a manner as not to endanger persons or property and then only if it is used in such manner as to prevent the projectile from passing over any grounds or space outside the limits of such grounds or residence.

(720 ILCS 535/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑5)
    Sec. 5. The provisions of this Act do not prohibit sales of air rifles:
        (1) By wholesale dealers or jobbers;
        (2) To be shipped out of the State;
        (3) To be used at a target range operated in 
     accordance with Section 4 of this Act or by members of the Armed Services of the United States or Veterans' organizations.

(720 ILCS 535/6) (from Ch. 38, par. 82‑6)
    Sec. 6.
    The State Police or any sheriff or police officer shall seize, take, remove or cause to be removed at the expense of the owner, any air rifle sold or used in any manner in violation of this Act.
(Source: P. A. 77‑577.) 

Chicago Airsoft Association - Renegade Bloc
------------------------------------------
www.chicagoairsoftassocia tion.com/forum
www.renegadebloc.com

Offline bake68

• Carpe Diam Cras/Seize the day...Tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
yea something nice about living in smaller towns compared to bigger cities is that the land i generally play on is way out of my town, owned by my friend's parents, and the only thing surrounding the property is corn fields. the only trouble we have ever had with airsoft guns is a friend of mine shot one in the middle of the street in the middle of town. he only got a small ticket for it tho. the airsoft laws around my area aren't that strict. basically you don't be stupid and wave them around in town, you're in the clear.

Offline Rush9123

• Here Come The Fuzz!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »
well rockford isn't a small town and that's were most people play.
Primary: JG Steyr AUG 320 FPS, DE Full Auto AK-47 320 FPS
Spring UTG M14 380 FPS
Secondary: Army Detonics .45 (Silver) Classic Army M203 W/ 2 Pro Arms 96 Round Shells & Classic Army 165 Round Shell (Still Being Fixed)

Why do they call him the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bullets Avi.

Offline Airborne DT

• And we will send you to whatever god, you wish.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »
to keep it short. walk in to your local police station, and ask. they'll be more than willing to help you out
"In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"

Leader of the +Templars+

Offline Rush9123

• Here Come The Fuzz!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
ya they don't really have much to do most of the time.
Primary: JG Steyr AUG 320 FPS, DE Full Auto AK-47 320 FPS
Spring UTG M14 380 FPS
Secondary: Army Detonics .45 (Silver) Classic Army M203 W/ 2 Pro Arms 96 Round Shells & Classic Army 165 Round Shell (Still Being Fixed)

Why do they call him the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bullets Avi.