September 21, 2018, 07:57:24 pm

Author Topic: Face Protection?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Dragon2144

Face Protection?
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:03:10 am »
Ok I'm new to Airsoft and I want to keep all my teeth. I know I want goggles. I hate paint ball type masks. Cant aim down sights with it. But would a recon wrap like this.....

do the trick or should I get something like a Half or Full Neoprene Face Mask?
Also what kind of things do you use to protect your face?

BTW: yes I know someone has a tread like this but I want to know about the recon wraps and if I'll keep my teeth if I get one.

Offline Sev

• 仮想せき
Re: Face Protection?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:16:21 am »
If you're under 18, to attend the overwhelming majority of events in IL, you must wear a paintball mask. No exceptions.

As far as teeth protection from BBs go, neither a neoprene mask nor the recon wrap are very high on the protective scale. The scale would go something like this (lowest to highest):
nothing -> recon wrap -> neoprene mask -> shemagh (wrapped correctly) -> huge gap of protective quality -> the "skull mask" - the "goggles with faceguard" -> Redtail's gas mask - paintball mask.
The Big Brain am winning again!
_________________________ _
Try this for your next sale/purchase!
Airsoft Auctions

Offline Dragon2144

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:23:45 am »
Thank you I'm 18 probably going to go with the Hakkotsu Iron Face or do you have any suggestions? For half masks that can be warn with goggles but I'll keep my teeth.

Offline Sev

• 仮想せき
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:37 am »
I've never worn one of those Iron Face before, but it's a better protector than most other retail products. Evike has some china clones of the TM fan goggles with faceguard. As far as frontal shot protection, they're pretty good since they flex rather than indent like cloth does, but the goggle fans are poorly designed in both China and TM versions.

Most other half masks on the market are mesh lenses, and given the propensity of a BB to shatter when impacting a solid object, it's not recommended in the least.

Anyway, that's pretty much the only option I know of to avoid a PB mask, apart from upgrading a gas mask with polycarb lenses.
Airsoft Auctions

Offline Dragon2144

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:13:22 am »
Ok do you have any suggestion on PB masks that will work alright with sights? What kind of Face Protection do you use.

Offline Sev

• 仮想せき
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:50 am »
I opt to exchange safety for comfort. I use my Bolle T-800s or my Blackhawk Hellstorms paired with a balaclava and a shemagh that covers my mouth, nose, neck and ears. Since I wear a hat, I just wrap it loosely like a scarf for just the bottom half of my head; adds more protection from the bugs and BBs lol. I did bring a mouthguard to Thunder as a last line of defense since it shields the weakest part of the teeth.

As for PB masks that work well with sights, here's Red's list from a while back:
http://www.illinoisairsoft.com/index.php?topic=970.msg16616#msg16616
The links are probably all broken, but google works.
Airsoft Auctions

Offline Chavez [303]

• Dont mess around with CNR!
  • Global Moderator
  • The ball cracker...death on foot...
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:34:12 am »
I wear ESS V12 Advancers.  They're probably some of the best goggles i've ever used. Prior to that i wore (and still do sometimes) the ESS Striker Turbofan.  Both have excellent ventilation. 

As for face protection, i used to wear just an underarmour tac hood.  Only time i wear full face masks are when playing indoor CQB type games.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

https://www.facebook.com/CactusArmsAirsoft