July 21, 2018, 02:54:02 am

Author Topic: On Killing and On Combat - Dave Grossman  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Kruse

On Killing and On Combat - Dave Grossman
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:37 pm »
Both On Killing and On Combat are in-depth, research driven books about just what the titles say, killing and combat.
On Killing looks deeply at past and present war fighters/killers, and what makes them do what they do, and how Military Training was adapted to "create killers" so to speak.
On Combat looks at past and present combat, the psychological and physiological reactions of combat on a person, among many other things. Unlike On Killing, which focused on Military only, On Combat also sheds light on Law Enforcement engagements.

Though they are research-driven; thus, a dry read, I really, REALLY like both of the Colonel's books. And highly recommend it for anyone who is plan to enlist/become a Law Enforcement Officer, or simply wants to get a hint of what can happen to a person experiencing combat.

On Killing
On Combat

[I by no means endorse Amazon, nor do I necessarily recommend purchasing either book from Amazon.com, I simply provided links to each book for those interested to do further research on the book/want to read other opinions.]

Offline airsoftmaniacman

Re: On Killing and On Combat - Dave Grossman
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »
These would be very interesting reads... I think that technical books would be of more use to us airsofters though, since we aren't actually going to kill people. These books should definitely give us a lot of insight what it really means to be a soldier though.

I recommend The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Combat Skills, Tactics, and Techniques and Paintball and Airsoft Battle Tactics. The first book is a complete manual of everything you would learn during boot camp... it's certainly not an entertaining read, but it has a lot of very useful material inside it. The second is an easier read that helps teach a new airsofter how to use basic individual and small-unit tactics and maneuvers.

My soon to be Magpul-ed KWA LM4.

Offline Kaspar825

• Saftey first then teamwork!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »
I was going to pick up the the airsoft battle tactics one but couldn't find it but does the first book tell you how to kill people. If it does people are going to think I'm crazy buying it ;D
Normal soda gives you diabetes.

Diet soda makes your brain dysfunctional.

Lemonade puts you in a remote relation to Feelgood.

Guess I'm drinking water.

Offline airsoftmaniacman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:53 pm »
Well, it covers battle drills, hand-to-hand combat, mines and explosives, land navigation, communications, weapons and artillery, security and camouflage... the list is endless. Basically, if you memorized everything inside of this book, you wouldn't have to go through boot camp! JK... :D

My soon to be Magpul-ed KWA LM4.

Offline Sev

• 仮想せき
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »
I was going to pick up the the airsoft battle tactics one but couldn't find it but does the first book tell you how to kill people. If it does people are going to think I'm crazy buying it ;D

No.  Grossman's "On Killing" is a study of the psychological effect of killing, and how it is handled today, as the OP stated.  For example, it features the firing rates studies of pre Vietnam wars (Civil War even) and Vietnam, with in depth analysis as to why they have changed, and features comparisons of the proximity to killing being directly related to how traumatized the individual might become.  It's a very compelling read.
The Big Brain am winning again!
_________________________ _
Try this for your next sale/purchase!
Airsoft Auctions